Friday, December 7, 2007

My First Attempt at a Blog Entry...And Typing with a Broken Finger

"There is a Lonely Planet guide to my country. How remote could it be?"

- Me, July 2007



So here I sit, at an internet cafe in Njombe, Tanzania, the one-paved-road mountain community that Peace Corps calls my "banking town." There are, in fact, two banks, two gas stations, a post office, and two parallel roads (one of which is the paved one) flanked with small, over-the-counter shops, each selling more or less the same items at more or less the same negotiable prices. There is even one Western-style hotel, where you can get a hot shower straight from the tap if you stay up late enough or wake up early enough. So here I sit, at an internet cafe in Njombe, Tanzania, the most bustling bit of civilization I will see for at least the next six months.



I came here today in a vehicle Tanzanians call a "basi," or, for those not particularly linguistically inclined, a bus. It is not a bus. It is an extended VW van, as square as a school girl in penny loafers, with a roof rack on which the luggage conductor straps everyone's belongings and then sits himself. This vehicle, which comes by my school on the way to town once a day at 7:30am and leaves town to come back toward my village at 1:30pm, should not be confused with a daladala (from the Kiswahili word "dala," meaning "dollar," which was the fare when the vehicles were first introduced in Kenya), which is Tanzania's most common, regularly-running system of transportation. The daladala is a stretch minivan, curvier than the "basi," and usually with an elevated roof to allow passengers to stand. More on the daladala experience another day, as I want to describe my current residential situation.



I live in a row of ten teachers' houses, set back from the main (unpaved) road, on the other side of which is my school, a well-known, co-ed boarding secondary school that I cannot name due to Peace Corps regulations. My house is at the end of the row, about two plots away from my nearest neighbor, because my headmaster once heard that Americans value their privacy. There is one woman, a teacher's wife, who has clearly never heard this fact, because she has invited herself over every evening for the next week to teach me how to cook. Although I will not enjoy dumping a liter of oil into each of my dinners for the next week, I will very much appreciate lessons on cooking over a charcoal stove. Because Tanzanians insist on cooking inside, though, I might also come back to America brain damaged from carbon monoxide poisoning...and I've also been inhaling a lot of bug poison, because it's the only way to teach the little imps the difference between my space inside my house and the Great Outdoors.



Speaking of my house, it's the nicest one outside of town, I think. I have a walled-in courtyard (which I have to cross to get to my toilet - a ceramic basin in a concrete floor, my bathing room - a sizable cement room with a drain in the floor, and two other outdoor rooms for which I haven't yet chosen uses). I have an extremely large living room, and one or two guest bedrooms, depending on how I decide to use the space. I hung curtains in my bedroom the other day, and in doing so tumbled off of the wobbly chair I was standing on and broke my left middle finger. I splinted it myself, using a stick, and am hoping it heals straight. My nearest shop is about one kilometer away, which is pretty close. But I cannot buy any sort of food there, so I'm going to have to learn to garden vegetables, and then become a vegetarian.



This is, without question, the most beautiful landscape I have ever lived in, or seen, for that matter. In front of my house, there is emptiness for miles and miles until the emptiness commingles with the horizon, beyond which a claustrophobic, end-of-the-flat-earth sensation in my gut tells me there is only more emptiness. I never knew a person could feel claustrophobic from too much of nothing. But seriously, it's gorgeous. Behind my house, rolling hilltops of farmland end not with a horizon of nirvana, but with majestic mountain peaks. Pretty breathtaking for an American city girl.



So, I'm almost out of internet time, but until school starts on January 14th, I'll probably be in town fairly often, checking email and buying things for my large, empty house. Let me know what you all want to hear about next time; I am here only to please. Until next time, signing off...

14 comments:

Unknown said...

"As square as a school girl in penny loafers."

I love it.

Sounds even more amazing with your artistic skills - tanzania ala literati laura.

Hugs!

Runeko Lovell said...

That sounds amazing. I am happy that you went with the blog. I hope that my comment about google's blogspot was an influential factor in your decision. Where the hell are the photos? Is it too much to post them on the possibly slow internet connection that you might have? None the less, you're a great writer and I can see the imagery. So happy to hear that things are looking even more up than they did before, and it sounds like you lucked out with the housing situation too.

in the words of jennifer...

hugs!

katie Mueller said...

That was the most beautiful blog I’ve ever read! - Even if it was my first one!!

its sounds so perfect- depending on your definition, but I’m so happy you have a nice place to say..I just can’t get over the finger incident... you sound like survivor man making your own splint. I’m impressed, but I hope you’re not in too much pain.

That really was a well written blog. How you ever thought about writing a book? It could be – the life of a city girl living in Africa – but of course you could top that title like no ones business. Any who, I think is a great idea.

I miss you tons, I hope you’re holding up strong- and in the words of a Mueller – KEEP DANCING
Oh and btw- there’s nothing more fun and exciting than bragging about your cousin who’s in Africa teaching little babes for the Peace Corps. I haven’t gotten one reaction from people, that wasn’t impressed- it is very impressive, and just amazing

Love you,
Katie

Unknown said...

So glad to hear you are doing well in spite of your broken finger. It sounds like you are in such an interesting place, making a world of difference one person at a time.

I'm so envious of your adventures :)

Love,
Kim

sbaechle said...

ahh ok so I'm getting a bit maternal here by saying this-- but I'm worried about your finger!! The left middle finger is a crucial element in your eventual return to NJ- we all know how much middle fingers are used here ;)

The landscape sounds beautfiul out there! Sometimes I feel that irrational claustrophobia that you described while I'm driving through the flat plains of the midwest; there is definetly something to be said about the comfort of mountains...At least there are a few in the other direction to keep you company.

On another note, I tried to garden vegetables once....and it was a lot harder than raising flowers. But that was in the barren Dolph, which is (I hope) quite unlike the fertile soils of Africa. I would send you meat if I could....btw, what would you like for your xmas package? I get so homesick around the holidays and then I get excited to go back to Dolph, and then I remember that you won't be there, which makes me sad :(

Finally, considering that much of our recent correspondance is based on culture shock, I would like to regale you with the tableau that greeted me as I turned on my television this morning. Imagine, if you will, a fat caucasian lady dressed in a flower-print muumuu seated with an electric keyboard on her lap. To her left is a dapperly-dressed, albeit porrly groomed gentleman missing a few front teeth (a fact that is made nauseatingly apparent during close-up shots). They appear to be in some sort of natural/rural type setting. In unabashedly accented speech, the woman remarks that "it's a shame that there isn't a key of H for hootenany" and then proceeds, in the key of F, with the decidedly unmelodic accompaniment of the gentleman, to sing the song "God's Resourcefulness," which is sung to the tune of the ditty "All the Do Dah Dah Day." It goes: "God brings lots of things to us, Use them, Use them..." at which point I switched the channel...and was greeted by Rev. Pat Roberston.

Lots of Love from Good Ol' Missouruuuh,

Bucket

Unknown said...

Wow, by far the best blog post Ive read. I bet splinting your own broken bone wasnt on the list of experiences you thought you were going to have. And dont worry about what simone said, if it comes out a little crooked it will just scare people in Jersey even more when you flick them off.
it sound like you are having an awesome experience, the censorship is a little odd, but i guess with an organization the size of the peace corp its easier to make broad rules.
So what is a common day for you like since you dont have school right now? Are you the only american in the town. I can't wait ot hear more about your adventures, its much more interesting then reading about the federal rules of civil procedure.
Take care, and dont let teh bugs get to you (they can smell fear)

Parents said...

Great blog entry—it will save me tons of time writing my family newsletters and is SO much more of an interesting read (it would never occur to my left-brained mind to compare a vehicle to a school girl!). Take care of that broken finger, ere on the side of caution. Love, Mom.

Unknown said...

you should learn to slaughter your own goats and chickens, and become as carnivorous as possible. meeeeeeat! I want you to lie awake at night craving rare cow.

i walked by your old apartment on macD the other night. it misses the feeling of having you inside it.

lovies, love.

Nana Mueller said...

Dear Laura, So nice to hear about your stay in Africa. I bet you will be able to write a book when you get home. Are the bugs bad there? Take care of your finger,does it feel better yet? Is there a doctor there? Are you rideing your bike to town?? If there is anything you want just let me know ans I will send it. Take care of yourself. Love Nana

Heather said...

Hi...you don't know me but I somehow stumbled upon your Blog today. I too traveled to Tanzania this past March. My group stayed for 10 days in Arusha. As soon as I saw Mzungu I had to read. In any case, the real reason I was Blog searching today is that I am thinking of joining the Peace Corps. I am 25. Although I know I would cherish an experience like this I am quite nervous. I have begun my PC application and am ready to submit. I'm scared to be gone that long, away from my family. I consider myself quite adventurous and have been very excited to do this for a while. Can you possibly provide some thoughts on this subject. Some things I should consider.

Signed,

Heather in a dilemma

Airmale said...

Dear Laura,
We hope you have an enjoyable and peaceful Christmas and New Year. We're incredibly proud of you for what you are doing and follow your adventures with great interest. We're saving all the e-mail and pictures. Your blog is super and we love your writing style. Looks like the Jebbies did a good job with you!

Your Mom tells us that your home is relatively new and a notch above the norm. Of course she also tells us that you are really starting from scratch! We can't wait to see what you do with the place.

We're gathering at our place for Christmas this year and we'll all be thinking about you. We got each other a digital camera this Christmas and I'll give your Mom some pictures to include with your flash drive exchange.

We've been researching TZ and the region in which you're located and it is facinating. Our sense is that the people are really wonderful. You're really lucky to be able to share your time and talents with them.

The wife of a friend of ours has been making beautiful Santa Clauses for years and donating the proceeds to the Moravian Church for their mission in TZ. She was successful in actually providing enough money to build 2 clinics, one in Nzubuka, Tabora and the other in Ugowola. The sign above the doors say "Betty Watson MCH Clinic - Moravian Church". We need to see if that region is anywhere close to you. We think it's further to the North.

You're doing the right and good thing Laura. Your respect for these people is very admirable and we share your enthusiasm for their happiness and well being.

We fully suspect that you'll return a different person, influenced by your experiences and friendships there. Take care of that finger, enjoy your adventures and your new - found friends and know that we think of you often.

Love always,
Uncle Ron and Aunt Kandy

Billy Fettweis said...

i saw through your subtle manipulations: your casual mention of the western style hotel AND your guest bedrooms AND your shop less than 1 km away: you're trying to seduce ME to come to YOU for our annual christmas shopping extravaganza.

but it cannot be! today i went shopping with my mom at the mall and we had panera...and it was an unacceptable substitute.

at any rate, i miss you terribly! i mailed you another letter with a christmas theme, but you probably won't get it until well into 2008. hope all is reasonably well--and that you're not self-medicating any more broken bones. love your blog and am excited to read more!
billy fett

daniellssisterliz said...

hey laura ,
that is so cool that oyu are in tanzania. coool blogs , i will try to keep up with them. ia m also goingt o send you some coulorful things to put on your walls. either to you directly or through your mum.
neways , love you , miss you. have fun!
ttyl liz

Uncle Dan said...

Looks better than the shacks at the Jersey Shore !!
blog is fantastic- can't wait to read the book
much love
Dan & Holly